No more kibble!

Kelsey was adorable. She loved to SMILE! She had bad teeth and bad breath, her eyes had cateracts, and she suffered from constant itchy skin. During her life, Kelsey ate whatever mini kibble had the best advertising, but after 2 surgeries for bladder stones we changed her to Science Diet CD and she got fat. In September 2008 Kelsey suddenly began having violent seizures. Her decline was so fast, we put Kelsey to sleep less than two weeks later on her 13th birthday. The vet told us that Kelsey suffered from many maladies that probably stemmed from eating processed dog kibble. If I had only known that changing her diet could have changed her life!

Welcome to our new yorkie Juliet! Welcome Raw Meaty Bones Diet!
To learn about this style of pet feeding, go to the very first entry and work your way up.


Saturday, September 5, 2009

Preparing Juliet's Food


This is a prep day for about six weeks worth of food.   I remembered to take pictures after I had already bagged up the majority of the food. What you see in the bowl is about a week of food. You don't have to do all this quantity or variety, but I wanted to photo all the options. I made a large variety of meats, but many happy dogs enjoy a diet of strictly chicken and maybe some liver or gizzards. Choose hormone-free meats. Organic would be best, but the price is prohibitive.The teaspoon is in each pic to show size.

Chopping up the meat. The bowl is nearly empty, but here you see chicken wings, pork chops, turkey wings and necks, beef, and cornish game hens.

Offal: From the frozen tube - chitlins, cut into chunks, plus chicken liver and gizzards. Each baggie gets a chunk of chitlins, a slice of gizzard and a slice of liver.

I have a food scale that I used when dieting. It sure came in handy! I don't really need it anymore, as I know how much my dog eats. When I started bagging, the big white bowl was
overflowing with meat. I bagged 42 (2.5 oz) meals, placing 14 into a gallon ziploc bag for convenience. That's 10-1/2 pounds of meat! I splash on about a half tsp of olive oil on each meal. I need to get a bottle of fish oil. I'll still give the bit of olive oil, but will add a few drops of fish oil too.

A chicken foot or neck for breakfast or a snack.


Jules, asleep in my lap after a good meal.  Spoon for size...

No comments:

Post a Comment